Zoë Bestel is an award winning nu-folk singer songwriter and musician.Born in Liverpool and raised among the Galloway hills in South West Scotland. Since picking up the ukulele in 2011 at the age of just 13 she has won admiration from the press and supported internationally acclaimed musicians including: Emily Smith, Steve Tilsten, The Paul McKenna Band, The PeatBog Faeries, Steve Hicks, Chris Wood, Paul Brady and Nathan Connolly.
Her newly released album Sir Lucas and the Moon was awarded Scotland’s biggest selling newspaper (The Daily Record) album of the week. Her début single went to No.3 in the Folk Chart (Amazon Download) and was voted No.27 in Dandelion Radio’s Festive Fifty.
Her many live performances have included: BBC Radio Scotland, Celtic Connections, Edinburgh Fringe, Stonehaven Folk Festival, Wickerman Festival and Cambridge Folk Festival. Her début single ’35 Missed Calls’ went to No.3 in the Folk Chart (Amazon download) and was voted No 27 in Dandelion Radio’s Festive Fifty. Her debut album ‘Sir Lucas and The Moon’ was awarded Album of the Week by the Daily Record.
- She’s destined for stardom.Toby Young,The Spectator
- Stunning album.Jim Gellatly, Amazing Radio, XFM
- Zoë is incredibleNathan Connolly, Little Matador, Snow Patrol
- I’ll wager anyone this young lady will go very, very far.Live Musician Magazine
- When I first read that she was a ukulele player, I almost wrote her off. I’m glad I didn’t. This 15 year old singer/songwriter/ukulele player has more brilliance and talent than many twice her age. I was blown away.Lori Gordon, music journalist at Celtic Connections (Jan 2013)
- A massive hit at GNUF 2014, Zoë is truly one to watch. Her astonishing voice, mesmerising stage presence and outstanding songwriting skills make her unmissable.Grand Northern Ukulele Festival
- We are really looking forward to having Zoë at our festival. Every year we bring someone truly special and I believe by inviting Zoë this year we will certainly be doing that. Look out for this young lady as we’re sure she will truly be flying in a short space of time!Ukulele Festival of Great Britain